- Complete Listing
- Community Life
- Honduras Misssion Trip- January 2016
- Intercultural Committee
- Faith Formation
- Spiritual Life
- Religious Education
- Youth Ministry
- Contact Us
You are here
High School Confirmation
High School Confirmation Program
At Holy Spirit, we celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation with our High School Youth. All high school youth, grades 9-12, are invited to participate in our program with the intention of receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation with our parish.
On both this page and also on our Youth Ministry page, you will find our service reflection sheets, our online registration forms, and our program calendar with all of our program expectations. Additional information regarding Saint Names and Sponsors is listed below.
Confirmation Program Coordinator: Mary Kate Shanahan
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 353-9404 ext. 7 or 671-6629 (cell)
On this page, you are able to download all of the essential forms for our Confirmation Program. If you or your child is interested in receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation, please download a copy of the billingual registration form, complete it, and return it to Mary Kate Shanahan. For this upcoming school year, Confirmation Classes for High School Youth will begin on Sunday, September 27. You will also find our Confirmation Calendar and Service Reflection Sheets as well. - See more at: http://openchurch.holyspirit-indy.org/ministries/youth-ministry#sthash.x...
Confirmation Saint Name
“A Candidate may choose a Confirmation name or retain a recognized saint’s name given at Baptism. In either case it is important to have a saint’s name as part of the Confirmation rite. A Confirmation name is a permanent reminder which links the candidate with the way in which the mission of Jesus lives on in those special persons recognized by the Church as saints or heroic people in its history.” (Archdiocese of Indianapolis Guidelines for the Sacrament of Confirmation).
The role of the sponsor in the formation process for Confirmation is simple and straightforward: to walk with the candidate by being a good model of faith and having a regular and ongoing relationship with the confirmation candidate. The requirements for all Confirmation Sponsors are as follows: all sponsors must be at least of 16 years of age, a practicing Catholic in good standing who has received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation, and sponsors may not be the parents of candidates. Confirmation Sponsors are also asked to be an active part of the formation process in preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation this year, meaning that attendance is required at some of our scheduled classes.
Expectations of Candidates, Parents, and Sponsors
- Pray with and for your child throughout his/her period as a Candidate for Confirmation.
- Take your child to Mass!
- Talk to your child about what Confirmation means to him/her and about his/her class sessions.
- Ensure that your child attends all class sessions, our Confirmation Retreat, Confirmation Rehearsal, etc. No more than 1 absence from your child will be permitted. This program must be a priority for the entire family, and especially your child.
- Provide the Baptismal Certificate to the Confirmation Coordinator, only if your child was not baptized at Holy Spirit. If your child was not baptized here, we need a copy.
- Do what you are able to participate in this program for your child and for our entire community.
- Pray with and for your candidate throughout his/her period as a Candidate for Confirmation.
- Go to Mass with your candidate.
- Develop a relationship, rooted in Christ, where you will be able to help walk with and guide your candidate throughout his/her journey of faith, extending beyond Confirmation itself.
- Be on time and come to our sessions prepared to be open to the working of God in your lives.
- Be kind and polite to others, especially when others are talking, leading prayer, and presenting.
- Attend all sessions listed on the calendar. No more than 1 absence will be permitted; make your Confirmation a priority.
- Participate in no less than 15 hours of service and complete our reflection forms. All reflection forms must be completed and turned in no later than March 13, our last class session.
- Attend our Confirmation Retreat. If there are foreseeable schedule conflicts, it is your responsibility, to both bring them to the Confirmation Coordinator’s attention and seek to find an alternative retreat.
- Choose one sponsor, who will walk with you throughout your faith journey and is able to participate in our Confirmation Program.
- Choose your Confirmation Saint Name.
- Pray and talk with God. You will get to know yourself and God better through prayer, as well as an innumerable amount of other things.
Inclement Weather Policy
Especially during the Winter months when snow and ice storms are common, if an occasion arises when a class session, or program event, would need to be cancelled or postponed due to inclement weather, all news will be posted onto our social media platforms, which are Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Pulpit announcements and parent emails will also be used to notify our Confirmation Families of any cancellation or postponement.
Facebook: Holy Spirit Catholic Church East Side