- Complete Listing
- Community Life
- Honduras Misssion Trip- January 2016
- Intercultural Committee
- Faith Formation
- Spiritual Life
- Religious Education
- Youth Ministry
- Contact Us
You are here
Music Director Job Description
Applications due August 28, 2017, email resume and cover letter to Msgr Paul Koetter, email@example.com
Holy Spirit Catholic Church
I. Identifying Information
Position Title: Director of Music Ministry
Reports to: Pastor
Supervises: Supervises music ministers, paid and volunteer
II. Primary Functions
The Director of Music Ministry is responsible for the effective preparation, coordination,
performance, and leadership of music within the liturgical celebrations of this bi-lingual
parish. This person of faith is a pastoral minister who possesses a vision of how a local
Church can develop its potential and engage parishioners in worship. This person will also
participate in the Liturgy Committee for the parish.
III. Position Content (note: will be required to provide this for a community that
speaks both English and Spanish and celebrates liturgies in those two languages)
Area A: Preparation and Performance of Musical Worship
1. Select and/or approve music and musicians for all weekend Masses (both English
and Spanish language) and for other services as specified, including:
a. Holydays and special liturgies (e.g., Triduum)
b. Other Sacramental Rites (e.g., Penance Services, Confirmation, First
d. Weddings (compensation for weddings is arranged with the couple to be
2. Personally perform the music at three or more Masses per weekend and for other
special services as listed above.
Area B: Recruitment, Formation, and Supervision
1. Provide formation in liturgical music for the assembly especially by assuring
strong leadership and the careful development and teaching of new repertoire.
2. Recruit and engage volunteers in the music ministry.
3. Schedule and oversee all choirs, music groups, and other music ministers, and
assure them with general musical and liturgical formation.
4. Provide specific training and preparation of individual cantors, accompanists, and
other individual musicians.
5. Direct one or more choirs or music groups (rehearsals held as needed).
6. Grow participation of youth in the music ministry.
Area C: Administration
1. Review and purchase new music as needed.
2. Prepare and administer liturgical music budget.
3. Prepare the template for the video screen at Sunday Masses.
4. Oversee maintenance of musical instruments and other equipment.
5. Arrange and prepare simple musical scores as needed.
6. Maintain music library, files, and records.
Area D: Networking
1. Participate actively in community/parish events.
2. Participate in regular meetings with pastoral staff and liturgy committee.
3. Participate in local and national professional associations (e.g., National
Association of Pastoral Musicians and Archdiocesan Music Directors’ Group).
Area E: Professional and Ministerial Development
1. Maintain regular practice schedule on primary instruments (e.g., piano and organ).
2. Participate in continuing education through formal courses and workshops and
regular reading of books and periodicals.
3. Participate in language skill development as needed.
IV. Position Specification/Requirements
A. Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
1. Must have an active faith life, preferably Catholic.
2. Must have good facilitating and organizational skills.
3. Must have ability to develop and administer programs to meet assessed needs.
4. Must have ability to work with others in a collaborative style.
5. Proficiency in voice, piano, organ and choral performance and some knowledge of
6. Fluency in Spanish desired; at minimum must have the ability to lead music at a
Spanish mass if needed and must possess a passion for multi-lingual liturgies.
7. Basic office computer skills (email, internet, calendar, documents).
B. Education, Training, and/or Experience
1. At least three years experience as a pastoral musician (volunteer or paid).
2. Experience supervising volunteers
3. Undergraduate or Graduate degree in music or equivalent experience.
4. Strong knowledge and training in Roman Catholic Liturgy
5. Experience and strong ability as a keyboard accompanist to cantors, ensembles
V. Working Environment
1. Evening and weekend work will be required.
Holy Spirit Catholic Church
7243 E. 10 th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46219